Gran devastated as grandson killed ‘with garden fork’ yards from her front door

A grieving grandmother has relived the horrifying moment she realised a crime scene outside her home was for her dead grandson.

Stephen Bellamy suffered severe head injuries during a daylight attack, reportedly with a garden fork, in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, on Saturday evening.

Pensioner Ann Barber told The Sun she saw the scene being cordoned off but had no idea the victim was Stephen, a dad-of-three who lived elsewhere in the area.

The 79-year-old said he had just got a job as a night dock worker and had started a new relationship, with his future looking bright.

“He was my grandson and I am just so angry,” she told the news site. “I don’t know if he was coming to visit me but they found him on the corner by my house.

“I never heard a thing. I never even heard the ambulance. I couldn’t believe it.

“He had just started a new job as a night worker on the docks and had been doing it a few weeks.”

Ann said it was only when Stephen’s mum called her to say a friend had seen paramedics working on her son in the street that she realised what had happened.

The attack had taken place just a few hundred yards from from Humberside Police’s Hamilton Street neighbourhood police station.

Two men charged with murder following the incident were in court on Tuesday.

Luke Teague, 38, and Stephen Beach, 39, appeared separately at Grimsby Magistrates’ Court due to coronavirus restrictions.

An emotional relative of the victim hurled abuse at the pair when they arrived in the dock, reports GrimsbyLive.

No pleas were entered by either of the defendants, who spoke only to confirm their identities, ages, and addresses.

The two men were remanded in custody to appear at Hull Crown Court on Thursday this week.

Michelle Boyeson, prosecuting, advised the magistrates that the cases could only be heard at crown court.

She requested both men should be remanded in custody until the next hearing.

A female relative of the victim swore at Teague, of Runswick Road, Grimsby, calling him “scum”.

The woman was warned that if there were any further outbursts she would be removed from court.

Teague appeared wearing a light grey top. He had a thick set beard and was flanked by two dock officers.

Sunny Dhinsa represented Beach, who appeared wearing a light grey top and with close-cropped dark hair.

Beach, of Ashbourne Court, Scunthorpe, spoke only to confirm his identity, age and address. The woman also hurled abuse at him.

Moments later she left the court and apologised to the magistrates as she walked out.

The court clerk told magistrates that the defendants could not be seen together, due to social distancing rules.

She read out the charges and the prosecutor again said the case had to be sent to Hull Crown Court.

Mr Dhinsa said magistrates had no power other than to commit the case to crown court and remand his client in custody.

A Humberside Police spokesman said on Monday night: “A 36-year-old man was found with wounds to his head at 6.40pm after reportedly being stabbed with a garden fork.

“He was taken to hospital and remained in a critical condition, but has today (Monday 26 April) sadly died from his injuries.”